RMS is the #1 Pick of Canadian Winners. Trusted Since 1998.

Claiming Casino Winnings Faq

If you have additional questions about claiming casino winnings, email us or call us, toll-free, at 1-855-622-6712

Who is eligible to claim casino winnings tax? Can I get my money back if I am from another country?

You are eligible to claim casino winnings if you are a non-US resident. You must also be able to prove that you were a non-resident of the US at the time of your win. Call or email us and we will let you know if you are entitled to recover the funds deducted from your win. Learn more about who is eligible for non-resident withholding tax.

After I’ve won, how much time do I have to claim casino winnings tax?

The IRS has implemented a three-year filing rule. This rule allows one to go back three years to claim a casino winnings tax refund. Gaming and casino winnings taxed prior to this period are statute-barred from any recovery. Most of our clients make their claim within days of returning back home. If you have won in the current year, refunds will be claimed at the beginning of the following taxation year.

How long does claiming casino winnings tax take?

The process can take a minimum of one year to receive the funds from the time we file. However, your part in the application process will only take a few minutes to complete with RMS.

What documents are needed when making a claim?

There are 3 different acceptable forms of certified identification. If you are using a passport, it can stand alone. If you are using a driver’s license, you will need one other form of ID such as a birth certificate. As certified acceptance agents, we can certify your ID. Please inquire about how we can assist with this and make the process easier for you.

Can I apply my losses to help reduce the casino winnings tax?

Canada entered into a treaty with the US in 1996 whereby specific gaming losses can be applied against winnings to reduce or eliminate taxes on casino winnings. The IRS expects losses to be substantiated by a win/loss statement, proper record-keeping and/or acceptable receipts.

What about other taxable games in the US, like lotteries and keno? Can you help me get my money back?

Yes, we can. We cover all taxable gaming activities in the US such as wins in casinos on slot machines, gaming tournaments (such as blackjack and poker), lottery wins, dog/horse wagering, keno and game show wins.

Is this income taxable in Canada?

For non-professional gamblers, gambling income is not subject to tax in Canada.

In what currency are casino winnings tax refunds paid?

Casino winnings tax refunds are paid in US dollars.
Claiming casino winnings tax is as easy as applying to RMS now, we have never been denied a rightful claim by the IRS.

Apply to RMS Now

Scroll to Top